Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve

This Christmas is, I think, the beginning of a new tradition.
Gone are the days of my childhood.
Tonight D's brother (Matt) and sister-in-law (Jessie...whom Little O confuses with Jessie from Toy Story), Little Baby Jack Winston are coming for dinner. As are our good and wonderful and hysterical duo of friends, Skyler and Brin.
Should be good times.


The menu is as follows:
  • shrimp cocktail
  • marinated portabellos
  • filet mignon
  • ribeye steaks
  • roasted garlic basil mashed potatoes
  • artichoke green bean casserole
  • garlic bread knots
For drinks we shall have:
  • a bottle of Merlot from Australia
  • a bottle of Cab from Napa Valley
  • warm spiced sangria
  • and some random selection of beers
Dessert:

Is not my forte but I did make cookies and I'm hoping someone else brings something.
I am so. not. a. baker.

After dinner we put Little O to bed and Santa arrives to eat cookies and arrange his display.
Remind me to ask him for the following:
  • a massage
  • a dirty dish doer
  • a million dollars
I made the basil roasted garlic mashed potatoes last night since they taste soooo much better after they've sat and melded flavors.
I imagine garlic holding hands with basil who is holding hands with potatoes/cream/butter/sour cream.
HEHE

So, I started by making the cocktail for the evening...

Moroccan Knight

Start by making the simple syrup:
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 4 lemon peel twists
  • 2 T. dried cardamom pods
Stir over low/low/super low heat for about 10 minutes.

Combine 4 ounces red wine, 1 ounce brandy, 1 ounce syrup, and 1 ounce lemon juice.
Garnish with lemon peel.
Serve in wine glasses.

I'm serving them in stemless wine glasses since my "fancy/we have guests" wine glasses are for the AWESOME bottle of Pinot Noir that I sampled (and subsequently bought) at a wine tasting last week.

Next up is the green bean melody.
I have no idea how this is going to taste.
I made it up.

Toss together steamed, fresh green beans.
Crumbled bacon.
4 diced artichoke hearts.
Parmesan.
cream cheese.
half and half.
top with home-made bread crumbs.

I figure if it sucks there is always steak.


Next up are the Spritz cookies!
Assemble all ingredients:
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 t. vanilla or almond extract
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 egg



I sometimes double the recipe cause I tend to burn at least pan.
or I burn two
or three.
Shush. Don't tell.
Next up I get to use my super duper awesome and totally amazing Kitchen Aid mixer.
Dear mixer, I want to marry you. Then end.

Cream together the softened but not melted butter, the sugar, and the egg.
Say a naughty word cause you forgot to add the vanilla.
I do that every. stinking. time.



Pull out the Spritz machine.
Wash off the dust.
It gets used once a year.
Ha!
Pull out the special Christmas plate.
Wash that too.
Get out a carrot for Rudolph.
Also dress child in silly Christmas pajamas.
Which he will later kill me for.
(insert evil laugh)




Cream everything together.
Lick the bowl, spatula, and the whisk.
MMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Go plug back in the tree lights because the Monster has unplugged them.
Might as well put some ornaments back on the tree too.




Assemble the stupid spritz machine.
Say more naughty words as you keep messing up the shapes.
Go open a bottle of wine.
Plug back in the tree lights.
Do some kitchen dancing when you finally get a tray that looks perfecto!



Mix some sprinkles.
I personally like red and green combined.
I'm just sayin'
Hey, it's my house ya'll.




Finished cookies!
Pour a glass, grab a plate of cookies, and blankie, Buzz, Woody, Jessie, Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head, and Thing One and Thing Two (who have replaced Jorge who went to the missing toy black hole.
Cuddle up on the couch with a good Christmas book.



Merry Christmas!

No comments: