Sunday, October 31, 2010

Kate's Eats

Seasoned Chicken and Creamy Corn Casserole

Making this dinner was a major ordeal and mostly happened as an afterthought when my tummy started to grumble.
Having been in Dallas for two weeks most of the food in the house isn't fresh.
I got creative.

Sheesh people cut me some slack.

Start by combining a 1 1/2 c cornmeal with 1 t. baking soda.
Set aside.



Combine 1 1/4 c. milk with 1 T. lemon juice (it's what you do when you happen to be out of buttermilk).
Go add buttermilk and lemon juice to the grocery list.



Season thawed out chicken with s&p, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and cayenne.
Simple but delicious.
Wash hands cause small child has a spatula and is smacking you.
Go take clothes off the line.
Stop to work on carving pumpkin.
Remember that you were, in fact, making dinner.
Go back inside.
Throw chicken on seasoned griddle pan set over med/low heat.



Listen to the chicken sizzle and enjoy the aroma filling the kitchen.
Go fold some laundry.
Now back to the casserole...

Dice some hot peppers.
I love this picture.
It's so colorful.
I got so excited that I rubbed my eye.
Then I screamed in pain.
Not to self...you're stupid Kate.





Combine the following:
  • 2 c. creamed corn
  • 2 c. frozen corn (from my garden!)
  • buttermilk (from above- duh).
  • 1 c. melted butter (I know. I know. I never said this was healthy)
  • 4 eggs (make sure you beat them up first. Show them eggs whose boss.)
  • 2 diced hot peppers (remove stems and seeds if your're a wimp)
  • 1/2 c. diced onion
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • cornmeal mixture
  • a handful or two or three of shredded cheddar




Mix gently so it stays nice and fluffy.
Now, I have this habit of dancing while I stir.
I call it stir dancing.
Break it down...
and ignore Mr. and Mrs. Across the Street sitting on their porch thinking you're nuts.
There is NOTHING wrong with using a spoon as a microphone.
Pour into a casserole dish.
Stop dancing while doing this.
Trust me, that's good advice.


Okedoke. Bake that for one hour at 350.
Now flip the chicken on the grill.
Also, I don't recommend dancing while doing this either.
Remember that youhave wet clothes sitting in the washer.
Go put them on the line.
Make a juicey cup.
and a peanut butter "cookie"
Giggle because you convinced the 2yo that crackers are cookies.
It's nice to feel smart.



Back to the pumpkins.
and the laundry.
Stop to pick up random toys.
Pour candy into the pumpkin bowl.
Smack 2yo hand
and 35yo hand
and your own hand.

Plate up the chicken...




Sprinkle with fresh cilantro (or parsley) from the garden...





Remove the creamy corn casserole from the oven.
Oh me oh my.
It smells sooooo good!



Now to enjoy dinner on the front porch.
and by enjoy I mean chase 2yo around
attempt to get him to eat
chase him around some more
whip his face 49753056754 times
refill milk
take one bit of dinner
and whip his face again.

Gotta love the pumpkins though!






Happy Halloween!

No comments: