Monday, January 10, 2011

Kate's Eats





The Second weekend of the month is our grocery day.
This is an insanely intense adventure.
I'm "that shopper" that sits on the floor of the grocery comparing ingredients.
NO high fructose corn syrup.
NO partially hydrogenated soybean oil.
Low sugar.
High protein.
(This is for food Little O eats).
D heads straight for the frozen pizza and Ben and Jerry's.

Then I spend another 12 light years comparing prices.

All in all, it's a long as day.

Don't EVEN get me started on the organization process that goes into putting everything away.
This time was worse since my wonderful, loving, caring, sweet mother rearranges my kitchen every time she visits.
:)

My favorite part about Sunday is that I get to watch "my show" while I fold massive piles of laundry.
Everyone has a guilty pleasure, right?
Well, mine is Extreme Makeover Home Edition.
I haven't figured out whether I like it because I get to cry or because I LOVE looking at kitchens.
It's a toss up.

I thought it felt like a pizza night so I started the dough in the bread machine while I:
  • put away the groceries
  • started another load of clothes
  • watered the garden
  • gave O a tubby
  • dislodged a wine cork from his nose (yes this happened)
  • made up the diaper bag
  • made lunches
  • made breakfast
  • did some random kitchen dancing
  • stubbed my toe doing insane kitchen dancing
1 hour and 35 minutes I had this:



Then I saw that I had some goat cheese that needed used up and hmmm....
look at that...
some figs that need used...


So I warned up the AWESOME pizza stone.
And complained to D that I REALLY want some more lighting by the stove for better pictures.
He may have rolled his eyes so I threw a towel at him.
Then did some eye batting and serious "you know you love me looks".



Next I sauteed up some onions (from the garden) YAY!
And took out some aggression on the dough.


I like a "saucy" pizza (hehehehehehe)!
So I thought ricotta mixed with thyme, EVOO, and s&p might taste yummy.
I didn't measure anything but it was indeed very creamy and yummy.
Mission accomplished.
I can make a sauce out of thin air but don't ask me to figure out how to turn off one of O's toys, or god forbid I have to open the garage door.
hahahaha!
You think I'm kidding.
I'm not.




Bake it up a tad before adding the toppings.
Be VERY SUPER DUPER CAREFUL not to get distracted by eye brow plucking and toe nail painting or the pizza crust will be a little more done than need be.



I topped the pizza with:
  • diced black olives
  • roasted chicken
  • diced figs
  • loads and loads of goat cheese



My piece...
Although I had to share all my crust with O.
He is a crust snatcher.
Little squirt.



Happy Eating!

P.S. The key to the pizza wasn't just the goat cheese and figs but the ricotta and EVOO sauce. It added a distinct depth of flavor. Then again, what isn't AMAZING with goat cheese?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dad says more light on those pics. And yes you had a rubber eraser stuck up your nose at one stage of your life. And no I don't rearrange. I ARRANGE.

Your wonderful,etc,etc,etc

Elsa said...

hahaha! I can relate to this post in so many ways! I am that shopper too -- not just in food either. In the other aisles it's about BPA and phthalates. My husband calls me a country hippie, he thinks I'm hilarious. He'll eat anything, he never checks. And Extreme Home makes me cry like a baby, and I always watch it when I remember.

jack_n_ashs_mom said...

LLLLOve Goat cheese yummers

Unknown said...

Love your post. I don't think I have ever tried goat cheese. Maybe I should sometime.
I love the part about the wine cork and stubbing your toe. Not because they are funny so much, but because they are random and I love that.